Moodle is an open-source Learning Management System (LMS) established in 2001. It helps educators manage courses online for free. It is built on plugins that act as Lego building blocks. It provides both educators and students with a central platform where they can connect with each other.
Moodle is run by a community of certified partners, full-time developers, and an active global community. Moodle developers implement improvements and bugs fixes and also update the platform every 6 months.
» Why Learning Management Systems are Popular
LMS Stats indicates 67 percent of organizations provided mobile learning, Organizations preferred Learning apps to be a "preferred mode of Workforce training".
Video Learning is the most preferred form of training among users. With the tremendous increase in demand for online education and training, more and more businesses are turning towards LMS platforms to conduct their training process.
Learning management systems help you to manage registrations, employee onboarding, staff training, groups, notifications, conferencing, etc; a significant advantage of business training and educational institutions.
» What to Look For When Considering LMS Platforms:
Every business has unique needs, not every platform can fill the needs of your business. Hence, it is very crucial to choose the correct Learning Management System (LMS) platform which will make your process easy. While considering LMS platforms look for the following points:
Many companies use data to know about a company's ROI. If your company is one of them, then you will need an LMS platform which lets you record data to learn about your learner's progress.
› Customization Features:
Companies especially Fortune companies need to customize the interface according to your company’s brand requirement.
Most users prefer a mobile device for training and videos. Hence mobile responsiveness is crucial for the LMS platform.
› SCORM or API Compliant:
SCORM compliance is a set of technical standards within the eLearning industry. SCORM compliant simply helps creators create up-to-date courses.
› Course Catalog:
Course Catalog features help users navigate easily through courses to know whether the courses are suitable for them. Course Catalog features also allow you to have control over who can see which courses.
› Pricing Structure:
The pricing structure varies from one LMS to another. Some LMS platforms offer both monthly and annual pricing plans while others offer only annual plans. Some LMS determines the pricing of the number of active learners who can use LMS. It is always better to research pricing to avoid any surprises later.
› Most common Moodle problems:
According to the survey conducted by TrustRadius, the most common problems with Moodle were hard to navigate the user interface.
Although many found Moodle helpful in management but Moodle seems to lack interactive course creations features.
The essential features such as video conferencing and community features are missing.
The mobile interface of Moodle needs serious attention from Moodle Developers as it is very hard to navigate and very slow loading.
Their servers sometimes crash because of the high load. Course creators cannot schedule time tables. Notifications systems are missing as well.
Integrations with third-party platforms are very minimal at the best.
Moodle offers very basic learning management capabilities; you may need more than basic features available in Moodle.
Perhaps your business needs more features including Video Conferencing, Scheduling. Or perhaps it needs more security for sensitive data which open-source platforms seem to be lacking.
Here are 11 Moodle Alternatives which include top-notch features with advanced abilities to manage, employ, and create training and education.
» Top10 Moodle Alternatives:
360Learning founded in 2012 is an EdTech company offering a SaaS platform. 360Learning empowers Learning and Development teams to improve culture and growth through Collaborative Learning. A group of industry experts helps companies through the implementation process.
360Learning provides creators advanced tools for designing and developing all the training programs. Its user interface helps the user with an opportunity to comment, speak, and react to other courses that give creators real insights into the learner's interests.
› Top brands who use 360 Learning:
• Air Canada
› Key Features :
• Gamified ranking systems makes learning more fun and interactive.
• Sales enablement. Easily sell and manage course subscriptions
• A large content library of premade standard industry courses
• Mobile-Friendly. Allows users to access courses from mobile devices
• White labeling allows customizing the platform according to brand values.
• 360Learning offers 14 days of free trial. Pricing starts from $8 for a basic plan which allows Up to 100 users.
• They also offer a Business plan and Enterprise plans for large organizations.
Adobe Captivate Prime is an award-winning industry-leading Learning Management System. It allows organizations to manage end to end learning for employees, customers, and partners effectively.
This LMS is primarily used for Trainees, HR Leaders, Sales Professionals, Legal and Compliance teams, etc.
› Top brands that use Adobe Captivate Prime:
• GE Healthcare
• Publicis Media
› Key Features:
• Offline access allows learners to access courses without having an active internet connection.
• A geolocation feature allows you to create one project with variables for different locations.
• Learner dashboard allows users to track their progress along with the ability to see which courses are complete and the skills which need to be considered.
• Adobe Captivate Prime provides a 30 days free trial.
• Pricing starts at $4 per user per month. Organizations with more than 500 users are given volume discounts.
3. Litmos LMS
Litmos LMS is one of the most popular Learning Management Systems. It is used by medium-sized businesses and large organizations to manage training and sales programs. It is a cloud-based platform easy to use and requires no dedicated training to set it up.
It has uncluttered all in one dashboard which displays user's login, admins, and completed tasks reports, conversion, courses in one place. It supports 35+ languages to help users learn in their native language.
› Top brands which use Litmos
› Key Features:
• Fast user onboarding
• Universal accessibility
• Rapid automation & embedded AI
• Easily create courses on and off the shelf.
• Supports use in 35 languages.
• Litmos offers 2 pricing plans- Litmos Pro and Litmos Pro + Courses
• Litmos Pro pricing starts at $6 per month for 500 learners and $4 per month for 501-1000 active learners.
• Litmos Pro + Courses pricing starts at $15 per month for 50 to 150 users and so on.
• Litmos LMS offers 14 days free trial for both the plans.
Google Classroom was launched by Google in 2014 to help educators all-over the world to simplify the learning process. With its easy-to-use interface, it has become one of the most favorite LMS platforms for many educational institutions.
In 2018, Google Classroom has remodeled which lets educators manage assignments, scheduling, and grading seamlessly.
Google classroom’s native integration with Gmail and other G Suite products makes it very versatile.
Google takes care of each of its users. An extensive support system makes it very feasible in case of any technical issues.
› Key Features
• The inbuilt chat feature in Google classroom makes communications between students and teachers easy.
• Send automatic notifications when the new content is uploaded
• Use video conferencing features which also included closed captioning to make the process seamless.
• Integrate easily with other Google products such as Google Drive, Gmail, etc.
• Google Classroom is free for schools to use and is included in G-suite for Education Packages.
• Those organizations that want to use Google Classroom for employee training and management will have to pay for G-Suite.
• Pricing starts at $6 per user per month for business starter, $12 per user per month for Business Standard, and $18 per user per month for Business Plus.
iSpring Learn is the fastest growing LMS platform with a power-packed authoring tool. iSpring comes equipped with an easy to use user interface and fast uploading and management of content.
It enables you to easily launch onboarding or continuous learning in your organization. The availability of iOS and Android mobile apps makes it very suitable for learners to engage from mobile devices and get instant access to courses. Users can also download courses for offline access.
› Key Features:
• Unlimited storage space. This platform doesn't impose any restrictions on file sizes. Feel free to upload without worrying about file size.
• Provides integrations with REST API and Custom domains.
• Gamification features allow educators to track the progress of learners and provide feedback.
• Integration with Zoom allows you to hold and schedule meetings directly in the training portal.
• Various reports such as content reports, people’s reports, email notifications and quiz, and simulation reports allow you to track the progress effectively.
• iSpring Learn pricing starts at $3.66 per user per month up to 100 active users.
• iSpring Learn does not have a free version. They offer 30 days free trial.
6. Tovuti LMS
Tovuti LMS is the best cloud-based Learning Management System.
Its interactive user interface helps engage learners effectively and is suitable for every type of learner. Praised for its premium customer service, Tovuti is laser-focused on improving its platform.
Tovuti removes the bulkiness which comes with a Learning Management System and provides an easy to set up and flexible environment for course creators to create, deliver, and track the progress of learners effectively.
› Key Features
• Built-in course authoring allows us to quickly create more than 40 types of interactive content.
• The lesson gating feature allows you to lock the next course content till all the current course requirements are fulfilled.
• Mobile Responsive.
• Auto notifications help in sending automated notifications for different purposes such as new content upload, event registrations, certificate expiry, etc.
• Tovuti LMS allows virtual meetings by integrating with Zoom, GoToMeeting, Webex, and many more.
• Tovuti pricing starts at $450 per month.
7. Paradiso LMS
Paradiso LMS is a Silicon Valley-based e-learning platform that forms end-to-end learning solutions for educational and corporate sectors. The software designed with keeping in mind the requirements of users in various ranging from elementary school to Fortune 500 companies.
Their multi-tenant features allow single LMS to be used across the different departments, partners, branches which not only reduce operating costs but also result in faster implementation and centralized reporting.
› Key Features
• Video Curations.
• Supports up to 80 languages.
• Blended Learnings.
• Provides Integrations with industry-leading CRM like Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Adobe Connect, and Webex.
• Paradiso offers a forever free plan for up to 50 users. The free plan comes with limitations and no support.
• Pricing starts from $310 per month for up to 100 users.
8. Easy LMS
Easy LMS is learning management software founded in 2013. It is used by big organizations such as DELL, Unilever, Allianz, and many more for training their employees. Easy LMS has a flat fee pricing model which makes it easy for educators to know what to expect rather than having hard surprises or up sell later.
› Key Features
• Automated Certification generations.
• Create a question bank.
• Export results from EasyLMS to other software using webhooks.
• Send automated invitations.
• Customize your dashboard according to brand values.
• Give employees training in their native languages.
• Easy LMS doesn’t charge per user. Instead, they use a fixed pricing model for a fixed number of users. They have three different pricing models namely Business owl, Corporate Owl, Enterprise Owl
• Business owl allows up to 25,000 participant sessions at $50 per month
• Corporate Owl allows up to 50,000 participant sessions at $99 per month.
• Enterprise owl allows up to 100,000 participant sessions at $250 per month.
9. ProProfs LMS
Proprofs LMS was designed to offer an easy user interface to its users. It has a powerful blend of modern and latest technology tools which will make your course creation and training process seamless. It integrates with 50+ third-party apps such as Salesforce, Zoom, InfusionSoft, Constant Contact, and many more. With its tight security features, you don’t have to worry about your data being unsafe.
› Key Features
• Integrates with popular CRM platforms such as Mailchimp, Salesforce, Constant Contact, Keap, and many more.
• Single Sign-In option (SSO) helps users login with the credentials used during the registration at one click.
• 100+ premade course templates to use which will save creators time.
• Performance tracking features to track your learner's progress.
• Flexible. Access it from anywhere from any place around the world irrespective of geographical locations.
• ProProfs has a free plan which allows up to 10 users with 1gb storage space.
• ProProfs Essential plans start at $1 per month per user billed annually which allows up to 200 users.
• Proprofs also has a premium plan with extra features such as Compliance, unlimited storage, course bundles, and paths. Premium plans start at $2 per month per user billed annually.
• You can also add white labeling and eCommerce features by paying an extra $300 per year.
Mindflash LMS is an industry-leading platform trusted by more than 1000+ industry leaders from Apple to Microsoft. It provides solutions for every industry.
Currently, their solutions are divided into three major parts including 1. Mindflash for Entrepreneurs 2. Mindflash LMS for healthcare 3.Mindflash LMS for the government.
Mindflash provides you the resources to make an impact on your training program. From employee onboarding process to engaging and retaining top client, Mindflash LMS has it all in one place.
› Top brands using MindflashLMS:
› Key Features:
• Quickly create quizzes with a variety of options like true or false, multiple-choice questions, and many more.
• Build an on-demand library of courses that your employees can enroll in automatically to update their skills
• Create a course path that your employees can follow.
• Create compliance management
• Mindflash charges are based on the features and number of trainees taking your courses. Pricing starts at $599 per month billed annually. For more pricing details request a demo.
11. Docebo LMS
Docebo LMS established in 2005 is an Italian software company. Docebo LMS is a cloud-based learning management system that uses AI tools to drive growth, organizational performances, and revenue.
The perfect blend of Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Natural Language Processing is used to produce an automated approach to learning.
They serve customers from various industries including IT, Technology, Retail, Manufacturing, Consulting, healthcare, energy, oil, and gas,
› Top brands using Docebo LMS:
• Thomson Reuters
› Key Features:
• The Gamification method helps to track the progress of learners
• Create a learning plan by customizing specific courses to help your learners
• Ecommerce features help you market your courses to your customers.
• Blogging features helps learners create their blog posts and comment to make learning more interactive and social.
• It helps to create certification programs.
• Rebrand your LMS with a white labeling feature.
• Docebo growth plan pricing starts at $3.33 per user per month up to 300 active users.
• Enterprise plans provide access to up to 500 active users for $5 per user per month.
We reviewed top industry leaders in Learning Management Systems. Learning Management System helps in managing training and development using advanced tools thanks to development in Edu Tech.
Course creators can create, sell, manage courses, and track the progress of learners with advanced resources available at the tip of their fingers.
If you think we missed some points please let us know in the comments section below.
If you liked our post please share it with others.