Gone are the days when you had to be present in a classroom set-up for learning. With the breakthrough expansion of technology, this classroom has now turned digital. All you need is a computer/laptop, a tablet, or even a smartphone, together with good eLearning software.
eLearning software stands for Electronic Learning Software which is nothing but a platform facilitating learning through an electronic medium. For instance, your computer. The e-Learning software allows the delivery of formal education, instructions, or course content in a digital way leveraging the internet, CD-ROM, DVD, or intranet facility.
With eLearning software, you are able to access the course material no matter where you are. Moreover, you can learn at your convenient time, which, in turn, lets you have more control over your day.
Given these fundamental benefits, more and more educational institutions, as well as corporate organizations, have started embracing eLearning software since the past few years. And it is only going to increase, opine experts.
While there are many types of eLearning software, you should first identify your own eLearning requirements to get the right-fit platform. If you have already done that, the number and volume of diverse eLearning authoring tools in the market may overwhelm you.
Here is the List of Top 10 eLearning Software with Features & Pricing
Articulate 360 is a comprehensive platform offering you everything you require for eLearning development. It packs in multiple e-Learning authoring applications with only a single subscription.
Articulate 360 provides you with access to its award-winning authoring apps, such as Rise 360, Storyline 360, and much more. In addition to that, you can leverage its extensive collection of course asset library, which includes templates, videos, pictures, characters, and icons. As a result, it becomes easier to develop better course content. It also offers project review application, along with both on-demand and live online training.
• It lets you develop tailor-made and interactive eLearning courses via Storyline 360.
• Its courses pack in multi-device support.
• It enables you to create courses that are fully responsive in nature through Rise 360.
• Its course asset library is ever-growing. Presently, it contains more than 7 million templates, photos, videos, and more for exceptional course creation.
• With its Review 360 app, it allows stakeholders to give you quick feedback on your courses directly via web browsers.
• It offers training to help you develop better courses.
• The platform is simple enough for usage by a beginner and as much powerful for experts.
• Its interactive, personalized courses are accessible on any device, providing an immersive learning experience.
• With multiple apps and on-demand training, it saves you a lot of time.
Articulate 360 is available at the annual price of $1,299 per user. You can also try it for free for 60 days without divulging your credit card details.
iSpring Suite Max is an amalgamation of the best eLearning authoring tools and technologies by iSpring Solutions Inc. It offers iSpring Suite, Content Library, iSpring Space, as well as access to round-the-clock tech support.
With this inclusive e-Learning software, you can develop effective eLearning content, mobile learning, assessments, video-based learning, scenario-based learning, microlearning, and software tutorials. Its content library consists of over 68,000 eLearning templates, assets, and characters to get you started with the word go.
Whether it is soft skill development courses, product training, or onboarding of new hires; it fits the diverse needs of a variety of industries.
• It provides a robust toolkit based on PowerPoint to build interactive courses, role-plays, video lessons, and quizzes.
• Its vast content library offers faster course development with thousands of ready blocks.
• It provides online space for efficient collaboration among teammates.
• It allows the sending of a draft course link to the stakeholders for a quick review.
• iSpring content works well with any device.
• It cuts down on course development time through its library of ready templates.
• Multi-device compatibility boosts the convenience of learning.
• Its interactive course content, with audio and video narrations, makes eLearning more engaging for learners of all age groups.
• It offers 24/7 support in case you get stuck.
The iSpring Suite Max is available for $970 a year per author at present. The pricing changes with the increase in the number of authors. You can also reach out to them to avail of a customized quotation.
Easygenerator eLearning authoring software makes building course content a simplified experience. It is an award-winning authoring tool that has been recognized as the best-in-class authoring solution by the reputed business review sites, such as G2, Training Industry, and Capterra, in 2020.
It encapsulates impeccable features to develop effective digital learning and share the courses in a hassle-free manner. You will discover plenty of templates to get up and running with training material development across niches, from onboarding training and product management to leadership and marketing training.
The platform also makes it possible for you to keep a check on how your learners are fairing.
• It consists of pre-designed drag and drop blocks of content for the effortless development of training material.
• It has a built-in reporting feature for real-time result tracking.
• The platform works well with a majority of LMSs with industry standards including xAPI, SCORM, and LTI.
• It offers in-app suggestions and feedback.
• The tool is customizable to your individual needs.
• It provides support through in-app chats, calls, and mails.
• The ready, customizable templates simplify the course development process, saving your time.
• Since the platform itself can be tailor-made to your requirements, you can make the most out of it.
• Personal training from the platform’s team ensures you learn how to use the authoring software to your advantage.
Easygenerator Pro version is available for a monthly fee of $99 while its annual subscription costs $990. Its Team version is priced at $413 a month and $4,950 for a year. You can also opt for a 14-day trial or enquire about its Enterprise solution.
With Adobe Captivate, you can develop stunning eLearning courses in mere minutes. From ready-to-go slides to Quick Start Projects to exceptional interactions, this eLearning toolkit by Adobe helps you create a course that makes an impact.
You can create branched courses with multiple modules while ensuring your learners complete the course before they take the quiz. It also lets you develop immersive Virtual Reality (VR) Walkthroughs as part of its experiential learning creation. If that wasn’t all, it enables you to transform your PowerPoint content into engaging videos. To make things simpler, you can copy one object’s style and appearance to another for speedy course development.
• It offers ready-to-go slides wherein you have to add your content.
• Its Quick Start projects let you build quick, mobile-friendly projects that only take a few minutes.
• It has a built-in course preview so that you can check your content on different devices before the launch.
• It allows the creation of screencast as well as adds a simulation module.
• Thanks to the asset store, along with click and replace interactions, speeds up the process of course creation.
• Fluid Boxes, VR, and interactive videos significantly increase the engagement levels among learners.
• The responsive content allows learners to learn from their choice of device.
You can try Adobe Captivate for free for 30 days. Alternatively, you can buy the full license of this authoring software by Adobe or opt for the Student and Teacher edition. You can get in touch with the team for pricing information.
Considered to be one of the world's trusted eLearning authoring tools, Lectora facilitates course development in the way you prefer. It is an award-winning technology with several reputed awards in its kitty won multiple times over the years.
This popular eLearning platform is compliant with the newest WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) requirements and standards. On top of that, Lectora packs in great features for responsive eLearning courses. As a result, designing, publishing, and delivering one course on diverse, multiple platforms, as well as mobile devices, become a hassle-free experience for authors. It also consists of ready templates and an asset library for simplifying the whole process.
• It allows the creation of responsive, scenario-based, and video-based interactive learning.
• It lets you add sequenced events and conditional branching to react to and track learners’ behavior.
• It is a flexible tool that allows the inclusion of custom libraries, CSS, and fonts.
• It offers team collaboration without any geographical limits.
• Its automated versioning features can automatically track revisions.
• It includes diverse assessments and quizzes, from random tests to formative evaluations, based on your need.
• The eLearning courses become more personalized, giving a better experience to learners.
• The authors can build courses faster without compromising on quality.
• Since it works with most LMSs, the courses can reach to a broader learner base.
You have to choose from three available options of Lectora authoring tool: Silver Suite, Gold Suite, and Platinum Suite. The first, priced at $899 a year, offers only an online version. The Gold and Platinum ones come in both online and desktop versions. The former is priced at $1299 per year while the latter costs $1599 per year. Free trials are also available.
ProProfs is the world’s easiest eLearning authoring tool for creating online courses and tests. An intuitive interface makes the tool easy to understand and use. It comes with a fast-growing premium library of 100+ professionally designed and ready-to-use courses. You can also create online training courses from scratch by importing your existing content.
The authoring tool makes web-based content development simple, easy, and quick. No software download or installation necessary. Even users with no technical knowledge can use it without any problem.
• The authoring tool offers a built-in learning management system to help users administer employee training courses and manage learners seamlessly.
• A secure virtual classroom enables you to centrally manage learner groups, group admins, and course assignments, and view reports.
• You can launch engaging quizzes from within a course using a quiz-making tool. It comes with 10+ question types and several beautiful templates.
• A Q&A-based forum lets you grow your teams’ knowledge through knowledge sharing, social learning, and collaboration.
• With a content library on comprehensive corporate training topics, you save time on course development. You can simply use these courses as they are or modify them to suit your specific needs.
• Since the authoring tool is cloud-based, you don’t have to worry about storage. Plus, learners can access online content anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
• The tool supports multimedia, so you can add text, audio files, images, videos, presentations, and more. This means you can deliver training using a medium your learners prefer.
• Once you create a course and share it with your learners, you can track participation rate, progress, engagement level, and final scores using their AI-powered reporting & analytics tool. You can also identify gaps in knowledge. Data-driven decision-making, thus, becomes easy.
ProProfs starts $2 learner/month (billed annually). No per-user fee, no hidden costs. You can avail a 15-day free trial on all plans.
isEazy Author is the #1 authoring tool for creating powerful e-learning courses, fast and autonomously. It’s designed to make it easy for any professional or internal trainer to create authentic learning experiences, effortlessly. No previous technical knowledge needed.
isEazy Author helps content creators achieve maximum speed and amazing results for any e-learning project. Thanks to its wide range of customizable resources, such as pre-designed templates, games, exercises, tests, interactive videos, and more, creating high-quality e-learning content is now more engaging and effective than ever.
• It offers an intuitive layout system and ready-to-use templates that are totally customizable, so you can adapt your content to your corporate branding in no time.
• +20 interactive resources-games, exercises, tests, assessments, infographics, interactive video… - to create engaging and fun training with just a few clicks.
• Courses are fully cloud-based and responsive. No need to create multiple versions of the same project for different devices.
• You can create, organize, and share your projects with your team in minutes and according to your needs: SCORM, web, or direct link.
• Project versioning and restoration points so any of your work will be lost.
• No previous training needed to start creating amazing e-learning content.
• Easy editing:Thanks to its slide editing system and its agile and user-friendly interface, isEazy Author makes it very easy to create e-learning courses on your own. It also offers a wide selection of standard templates and ready-to-use resources for professional results, effortlessly.
• Customize your courses 100%:isEazy Author doesn´t require any installation and allows multiple users to work simultaneously on editing courses. Any member of the team can customize the courses with the corporate logo, font, image, and colours in a matter of seconds.
• Engage your audience with the best interactives:isEazy Author offers more than 20 types of multimedia and interactive elements to motivate learners. Videos infographics, quizzes…and even games like Trivia to gamify training. It also allows you to include external content from other platforms.
• Publish your courses online in just a few minutes: we offer diverse distribution options so you can choose what works best for you – from downloading a SCORM package to utilizing our in-built course distribution and learner tracking platform.
• isEazy Author Go: Your own learning environment without leaving isEazy Author.
• Download your SCORM package and easily integrate them into your LMS.
• Publish the content on your website or corporate intranet.
• Share the course through a direct link with anyone you want.
isEazy Author is available at the monthly price of $69. You can also try it free for without divulging your credit card details.
Elucidat is known as an eLearning authoring platform facilitating the development of scalable and sustainable eLearning solutions. Whether it is subject matter experts or beginner trainers, the authoring tool by Elucidat is easy to work around.
The software contains enough scalability so that your team can seamlessly collaborate on a project. There are localization tools and reusable assets, combined with team-level permissions, to make the learning content much more manageable. If you get caught up, the award-winning platform renders proactive support to ensure eLearning becomes an extended part of your programs.
• It contains a pre-built blueprint (Learning Accelerator) for faster eLearning production. You can also get started it from scratch.
• It offers content inclusion, modification of course structure, and layout customization as per your preference.
• It lets you develop courses in localized versions and multiple languages with centralized control.
• It follows stringent practices for data privacy.
• It supports single sign-on.
• You can create not just adaptable but also localized course content, taking the personalized quotient a notch higher.
• The production and delivery of e-Learning turn quicker, saving a lot of your time and resources.
• Since it offers mobile-friendly content, learners can smoothly acquire training across devices.
Elucidat is available in different plans for varying needs, each of which is available at different costs.
Gomo Learning is cloud-based authoring software for eLearning. It comprises of functionalities that enable you to create learning programs accessible from anywhere, on any device. The platform facilitates best-in-class development, tracking, discovery, and delivery of video as well as eLearning content for both - the authors and learners.
Since Gomo is a cloud-backed Software-as-a-service (SaaS) architecture, it frees you from any software installation process. Furthermore, the cloud-availability simplifies co-working, no matter where your team members are based in the world. It also makes it easy to deliver, publish, and update content across platforms, including social media, websites, and SCORM LMSs.
• It offers easy, interactive content development through its ready, customizable templates.
• It incorporates tracking and analytics features for measuring training impact on learners.
• It provides a responsive and adaptive design for eLearning content.
• Its quick-start wizard helps you go up and running in the span of minutes.
• It packs in a reporting tool for creating uncomplicated, detailed reports to gauge learner activities.
• Since the platform is cloud-based, you can do away with installation hassles and get started immediately, saving your costs and time.
• Mobile-first, customized approach offers a more personalized learner experience.
• Cloud-connectivity makes updating and publishing content easier.
• The detailed reporting and analytics help build more effective content to meet the learners’ needs.
Gomo Authoring tool is available in Small, Medium, and Enterprise variant. While the Small edition costs £690, the Medium is priced at £1960.
Its Authoring + Delivery platform is available at £1380 for Small edition whereas the Medium variant costs £3920. Free trials are also available. For Enterprise solution, you can connect with the team.
10. Shift eLearning
Shift eLearning empowers your team to build, deliver, and publish the apt content at the right time for the right people. It is well-known for its personalized, interactive, and engaging content without taking the troubles to code. In other words, you can create efficient digital learning materials even if you don’t have any technical skills.
This eLearning platform makes it possible to create e-Learning courses across industries for individuals or groups of learners. Whether it touches upon marketing, training, customer loyalty, or product information; you can design the content in real-time.
• It offers real-time content designing. Plus, the content is available across devices, both offline and online.
• It includes advanced tools that help recommend the right courses to the right people.
• It allows you to interact, engage, and track learner behavior.
• It facilitates the development of projects in multi-language editions.
• It lets you include quizzes, tests, and evaluations in the projects.
• Multi-language content support appeals to learners in a more personalized way.
• Consistent tracking equips you to update content accordingly at the right time.
• Responsive, the interactive design enables seamless access from any device, boosting learner engagement.
Shift’s Professional suite comes at a price tag of $99 per month or $999 per year. Its Business edition costs $199 per month or $1999 per year. You can also choose a 30-day free trial.
Sleave is smart authoring software for eLearning content development. It contains tools that enable building interactive, responsive, smart, and impactful course content. It goes a step further by catering to the essential requirements of your professional team’s distinct skills, such as multimedia design, content, programming, and project management.
Being a browser-based authoring tool, Sleave is an HTML5-compliant platform for content creation. From eLearning content and simulations to presentations, websites, and games; it makes content creation quick and easy.
• It offers smart collaboration with multiple professionals working on a single project easily.
• It provides completely customizable functionalities; you can create your own styles and templates which can be saved and reused.
• It offers reviews while development is underway.
• It allows the creation of role-based courses; you can choose a role at run-time.
• It supports diverse languages. Also, the selection of languages is possible at run-time.
• Smart collaboration accelerates productivity and cuts down the development time.
• Personalization tools help offer an immersive learning experience.
• The course content is available across screen sizes, increasing the convenience of learners.
The Standard version of Sleave costs $75 a month or $700 a year. The Premium version comes at a price of $95 a month or $900 a year. You can go for a free trial as well that allows the creation of up to 5 projects along with email support.
The popularity of eLearning software (eLearning authoring tools) has been soaring since the past few decades. But do you know the basics of eLearning software? What are the features of eLearning software? What is its history, or what are its types? We got you covered. In this research article, we will discover everything about eLearning software so that you can choose the best for yourself.
With consistent advancements in technology, learning is no longer limited to a physical classroom. Whether it is the education of students or training of employees, learning has gone digital with breakthrough technologies and tools. Today, we have plenty of eLearning software in the market which are not just convenient but also a great resource to upskill.
So, let’s not waste any more time and go deeper into the concept of eLearning authoring tools, right from its definition, types, benefits, and disadvantages, to the latest trends and pricing.
» What is eLearning Software?
eLearning or Electronic Learning Software is a platform that enables the delivery of course content or instructions via digital mediums. In simple words, the eLearning software enables you to access formal training, education, or learning on your computers or laptops, tablets, and even smartphone via the internet, office intranet, DVD, or CD-ROM. At any time, no matter where you are, with minimal limitations.
What’s interesting is, the eLearning software comes in different types for varying eLearning requirements. But before we take a look at that, it is vital to check out different eLearning genres.
» What are the types of eLearning?
The e-Learning requirements are subjective in nature. They vary from person to person. A school would have different eLearning needs than that of an MNC. And that’s probably why there are numerous categories of e-Learning.
The Top 5 fundamental types of e-Learning
› Synchronous eLearning
Synchronous eLearning refers to learning in real-time. It is a setting where the learners and instructors can be online at the same time irrespective of their geographical locations. Moreover, the learners can communicate among themselves and with the teachers via chats and video conferencing. You can call it a classroom taking place online.
› Asynchronous eLearning
Asynchronous eLearning can be termed as self-paced learning. Unlike synchronous eLearning, it does not offer real-time interactions between learners and teachers. Each learner can set their own independent learning schedule from wherever they are. They can download learning material and utilize emails, discussion forums, or message boards for questions and communication. This type of learning is more flexible and student-centered.
› Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI)
CAI i.e. Computer Assisted Instruction is a kind of eLearning that enhances conventional classroom teaching. CAI refers to the utilization of computer-backed tools in the likes of text, graphics, simulations, audio, and animations to boost learning.
CAIs are interactive and self-paced, transforming students into active learners. Microsoft’s Encarta, a multimedia encyclopedia (now discontinued), is an example of CAI.
› Computer Managed Learning (CML)
Computer Managed Learning is also known as Computer Managed Instruction (CMI). It relates to eLearning wherein computers are utilized for managing and assessing the learning process. Operating via information databases, such systems consist of data about the learning program of the students along with ranking measures. The system is customizable for each learner and tracks whether learners have met their distinct goals.
Other than that, educational institutes turn to CML for storage and retrieval of information such as training material, curriculum information, grades, lecture details, and enrolment data. That leads to better education management.
› Adaptive eLearning
Adaptive eLearning is an innovative and emerging kind of e-Learning. It allows adapting and redesigning of learning materials for every learner.
The adaptive eLearning tools take into account certain aspects, including the performance, goals, skills, and abilities of the learners. Then, based on these parameters, such tools adapt the learning programs to suit the learners’ individual needs, making education all the more effective.
In addition to the above, eLearning categories include linear eLearning, fixed eLearning, interactive online learning, individual online learning, as well as collaborative online learning. But wait, where did it all begin from?
Let’s explore the inception and evolution of eLearning.
» What is the History of e-Learning?
The word “e-Learning” came into existence in 1999. In fact, it also fueled the emergence of two more terms “virtual learning” and “online learning” as a better understanding of its own description. There is a detailed account in history on how eLearning has evolved over time, and its earliest forms go back to the 19th century.
Timeline of eLearning
• The 1840s
If you thought distance courses began only after the launch of the internet, you’re wrong. Isaac Pitman used to teach his students shorthand through distance learning in the 1840s through correspondence. Pitman sent work to his pupils and received completed assignments via mail.
The year marked the invention of the first-ever “testing machine”. Students could test themselves through this device.
The year saw a Harvard Professor BF Skinner invent the “teaching machine”. It allowed schools to provide their students with programmed instructions.
The year witnessed the emergence of the very first training program based on a computer. The program, known as Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations (PLATO), was originally meant for University of Illinois students. However, almost every school in the area began using it.
With the inventions and advancements in computers, online learning began shaping up in the 1970s.
• The 1980s
As the first MAC released in the 80s, people could have their own personal computers at home. That fueled the learning and development of new skills through the device.
• The 1990s
The decade of the 90s fueled e-learning with technological developments with advanced computers and internet technologies. Many schools and colleges started offering distanced learning and online courses using the internet.
• The 2000s
The era of the 2000s saw businesses venturing into the eLearning space. Organizations started offering training to their workforce, both new and existing, to enhance their skills and widen their knowledge base.
Talking about today, we have a plethora of information and learning resources at our fingertips. We can take any course or earn a degree online, regardless of our geographical location, to excel in our fields.
That indicates how advanced eLearning tools have become. Great, isn’t it?
But such growth has also aggravated the problem of choosing the right software as there are many out there. That’s when knowing the features of eLearning software can come to your rescue.
» What are the Features of e-Learning Software?
› Interactive, clutter-free UI
The user-interface of the e-Learning platform either makes things or breaks them. The design not only has to be simple yet elegant but also interactive to keep the learners engaged. From immersive multimedia to quick searches and submission frameworks, good eLearning software has all the right things in the right quantity.
› Profile management and settings
Since eLearning is learner-centric, a functional user dashboard is the #1 necessity for eLearning platforms. The learners should be able to manage their personal information, course details, course progress, a calendar, subscriptions, and access to support via dashboards. It makes the entire process a breeze and lets users gauge where they stand.
› Free trials
As much as you’d like learning to be free-of-cost, the eLearning platforms come with a hefty price. That often drives many prospects away as you can’t see what the software offers without a purchase. To avoid this, numerous eLearning platforms now offer free trials for a limited period, giving users the feel of what they’ll be getting.
From setting a profile avatar, timezone, and language preferences, and connecting social profiles to syncing deadlines with a calendar and customized pace of learning; a valuable e-Learning software offers a unique experience to each of its users.
Who said eLearning has to be a lone effort? A majority of e-Learning software provide collaborative features for an inclusive experience. There are discussion forums and virtual chat-rooms to let learners communicate with their peers and mentors seamlessly.
› Help centers
A proactive approach to user support is a sign of a well-planned eLearning software. The leading learning portals have dedicated help centers, live support, and problem-resolving mechanism. Learners can explore the FAQs or seek personal assistance through emails.
› Performance tracking and reports
eLearning would not be complete without consistent student evaluations. The e-Learning authoring tool must integrate tools to monitor student performance and generate reports. That not only saves the mentors’ time but also updates learners on their progress.
› Cloud storage
Having the eLearning content in the cloud is beneficial to both the learners and instructors. It facilitates uninterrupted availability of the programs on the learners’ preferred devices as and when they need it. Moreover, it would also make program updation and publishing comparatively smooth and seamless for mentors.
» What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of eLearning?
Like every other thing, eLearning also has both pros and cons. Let’s have a closer look at them.
› Advantages of eLearning
• With eLearning, you can practically learn from anywhere. From the home, office, or even while commuting. All you need is a laptop/tablet, and you’re good to go.
• Whether you are a working professional or a stay-at-home-mom or a university student, you can e-Learn at your preferred time.
• You can learn at your own speed, meeting your personal targets and skills. Furthermore, you can go back to a lesson over and over until you feel you’ve got it.
• Since you don’t have to travel to attend a class, the same time can be invested in accomplishing your learning goals.
› Disadvantages of eLearning
• eLearning needs time management skills and tremendous self-motivation to succeed. People lacking in these areas would face difficulty.
• Unlike classroom training, eLearning can make people feel isolated.
• eLearning often lacks the development of communication skills in students; a characteristic critical to succeed in a team setting and the real world.
• With eLearning, it is tough to prevent cheating during assessments compared to a traditional classroom.
» What are the Advantages of eLearning Authoring Tools?
After exploring the benefits and drawbacks of eLearning, it is time to unravel the pros of eLearning authoring tool brings to the table.
› It is accessible round the clock.
The prime benefit of eLearning authoring software is its 24/7 accessibility with no geographical constraints. Whether you are a student or a professional looking to upskill, you can take the lessons from your preferred device at your convenient time.
› It saves time and money.
With an eLearning authoring tool, the amount of time and effort required for creating, managing, and assessing lessons reduce significantly, allowing teachers to focus on more crucial tasks. Furthermore, the software cuts down the cost of training development and delivery, together with classroom maintenance and overheads.
› It improves management processes.
Right from enrollment and administration to evaluation and reporting, the eLearning authoring software automates a plethora of manual and repetitive tasks. Most of all, it smoothens the management of extensive information, of learners and courses, which is a task in a conventional learning environment.
› It offers personalization.
Some students learn fast while some take time to grasp concepts. Therefore, personalization runs at the core with eLearning software. It adapts the learning materials based on the learner’s pace, understanding, and abilities. You can revisit a chapter as many times you like and set your own deadline to complete the learning program, unlike a traditional classroom.
› It keeps the content and information up-to-date.
Most of the eLearning authoring tools leverage cloud technology, ensuring the availability of the latest data and content at all times. So, if an instructor has updated a course or added extra resources, the same would be accessible instantly.
› It boosts active learning.
eLearning software is often packed with concise, tailor-made lessons that are easier to absorb. That plays a major role in increasing learner engagement compared to a conventional classroom. Add to that the accurate updates, combined with progress analysis, and learning transforms into active from passive.
» How to Deliver eLearning?
Now that we have understood the basics of eLearning and eLearning platforms, it makes sense to move towards the implementation part. How should you deliver eLearning in the most effective yet easy way? Luckily, there are a number of methods to rely on, irrespective of your target audience (students, employees, or customers).
› Through LMS
An LMS or Learning Management System is a software application that helps in delivering online training. It is available in diverse types - installation-based, cloud-based, commercial, and open-source. While all these types are packed with efficient features, the cloud-based LMSs are popular as they simplify course creation, student enrollment, and progress reporting.
Pro tip: To choose the best LMS, first outline your training requirements and goals and check whether the software’s features align with them.
› Through xAPI
The xAPI or Experience API is an eLearning software specification which enables the collection of data about an individual or a group’s extensive learning experiences, whether online or offline. Such learning experiences are recorded in a Learning Record Store (LRS) that can exist within an LMS or as a stand-alone LRS.
xAPI is flexible and simple. It can recognize, track, and communicate a variety of learning styles in a simple format for you to have a universal understanding of what your learners are experiencing.
› Through SCORM
SCORM (Shareable Content Object Reference Model) is a collection of technical standards that governs the way LMSs and online learning content interact with one another. It offers a universal approach to the development and utilization of eLearning content.
Think of it as a tool that equips eLearning content creators with efficient distribution of the content on diverse LMSs. If an LMS is SCORM-compliant, it can deliver SCORM-compliant content seamlessly.
» What Factors Should be Considered When Buying e-Learning Software?
So you decided to purchase the best e-learning software. But how will you choose one? There are so many options out there, after all. We heard you and put together a checklist of factors which may help you make an informed decision.
• User-friendliness - If the eLearning platform is complicated to use, even its best features would be of no help. Hence, make sure that the software is user-friendly and solves the purpose without hassles.
• Flexible - The eLearning authoring software should be easy to adapt to changing requirements and demands.
• Integration - A great eLearning system offers smooth integration with your existing systems.
• Security - Before settling for a paid or free eLearning software, ensure that it provides you with thorough data security, combined with multi-factor validation, data redundancy, single sign-on, role-based permissions, and IP access control.
• Cost - Compare the pricing of different eLearning solutions and the features they offer. Then shortlist the one that meets your requirements.
» What are the Types of eLearning Training?
eLearning can make a difference to your academics or professional career. To make things even better, eLearning training is divided into four subcategories, detailed below.
› Compliance training
Compliance training, a must-have for many entities, aims at educating the workforce on the regulations or laws applicable to their individual job profiles and industry. From safety at the workspace to health, it tackles vital matters.
With the eLearning tool, this training can be simplified even further, as updating the training programs with changing rules is easier with an eLearning solution.
› Employee training
A lot of organizations turn to eLearning to train their new hires or upskill existing employees for new challenges. It is an efficient and formal means to deliver training. Moreover, eLearning also packs in accurate assessments, reports, and feedback that aids in continuous improvement in training performance.
› Partner training
The eLearning training to empower partners in your network to be a successful member is also known as reseller training. Such training programs are comprised of diverse genres, including training on sales, product information, marketing guidance, and support. Resorting to partner training lowers support costs, boosts growth and partner engagement, all while shielding your brand and goodwill.
› Customer training
eLearning training programs for your customers lead to more clarity and knowledge on the usability of your products or services. That, in turn, increases customer engagement and retention rates. Take software vendors, for example. They conduct training with every new launch for better product acceptance and ease of utility.
» How Much Does an e-learning Software Cost?
There is not one single price bracket in which you can fit the eLearning software. The pricing depends on the kind of functionality on offer and the type of system.
There are standalone eLearning authoring tools available at a monthly or yearly subscription fee. Some are available at a huge upfront pricing as its license fee. Then there are a few that charges you on per user basis. So, expect immense price variations, ranging from $300 a year to $1,199 upfront.
» What are the Latest Trends in e-Learning?
With constantly evolving technologies, e-Learning undergoes advancements as well. So, let’s take a closer look at the latest trends which may take eLearning to the next level.
The bite-sized chunks of learning programs fit the needs of today’s always-on-the-go generation. Such “just-in-time” learning can keep the learners engaged with anytime, anywhere accessibility.
Gamification is a trend that’s refusing to die down. It not just makes the learning programs more interesting but also elevates user participation.
› Mobile learning
The amount of time spent on smartphones today is no more a secret. Hence, crafting mobile-friendly eLearning programs is a flexible and wise solution.
› Virtual instructor-led training
Virtual instructor-led training or VILT helps deliver immersive training in a virtual set-up. You can combine it with conferencing and collaborative tools to increase its interactivity quotient.
› Data-driven practices
A careful analysis of learners’ data, both quantitative and qualitative, can assist in developing a more personalized learning experience.
Today’s rapid technological era has considerably changed the way we learn. There is a plethora of modern eLearning software and authoring tools, a lot of them available at your fingertips. We explored how these tools have made learning more convenient and accessible, along with the factors to keep in mind while purchasing one, and much more.
Have you tried eLearning software though? Or will you after reading this post? Feel free to share your thoughts with us.